Pages

Sunday 11 March 2012

Inspired by a Beef Bourguignon

Has it ever happened to you to watch a movie and feel the urge to follow its stream?
I am not talking about any serial killer movie....of course but, you know, like watching 'Into the wild' and feeling that you want to leave everything (job, car, house mortgage...) and travel the world on your own and live in contact with nature.... Or like watching 'Sideways' and finally decide that what you really want is to take a wine course and follow your passion.

Of course the movie that really influenced me was not 'Into the wild', although I have to say I definitely enjoyed it and it was kind of inspiring. But what really gave a boost to my 'wine' life is Sideways. I have to admit that it can sound a bit stupid, but it definitely did. Sure I was already into wine and already had thoughts about taking that course but that movie helped me so much in taking my final decision that now I don't want to watch it again anymore not to ruin the memories of the importance it had to me, in a way.
It is fantastic when something (a song, a movie...or even a conversation with someone just met) in a quite random way has such an effect on you. Sideways is a nice movie and nothing else, certainly not a masterpiece, but as I said it inspired me and if I am where I am (ops...right...where am I?!) and if I decided to follow my passion and change my life for it that's part thanks to that film.

And I have to say that this suddenly came back to my mind as I was watching this lovely little movie titled 'Julie & Julia'. Again not something that will stay forever in the history of cinema, but a simple, romantic movie on the joy of food and cooking.
Now if you're wondering...No, I am not going to take a Cordon Bleu course and I am not going to tell you the all plot summary either, but I will tell you what impressed me.
First it reminded me why I was writing a blog and made me think that it was a shame that I abandoned it for so long.
Second (and at the moment most important) it gave me the urge to cook a proper Beef Bourguignon.


It is difficult to suggest a wine to match with it as I haven't tried the recipe yet.
Theoretically I would say a nice Bordeaux or something from Northern Rhone such as a Saint Joseph or Cornas would work perfectly and if you can afford to use them as well for cooking it, then great.

So enjoy it and .....Bon appetit!