Pages

Thursday 6 June 2013

The day after

I believe that there is nothing more exciting and stressing than having a big task; an exam, a project to present, a novel to write, an event to happen or even just a trip. The whole planning and preparation process requires a lot of efforts and concentration. Often it also means sacrificing your personal spare time for the cause and diverting all your energies on it. And you do it because you have to and because part of the pleasure is the everyday struggle to achieve a success.

At last that moment arrive. And what I mean is the moment when everything is over.
The exam is taken.
The presentation is done.
You have put the words `the end` your novel.
Your guests have left the event.
Or you are just on your flight back home.
You probably feel knackered and suddenly your adrenaline goes down and, while feeling relieved, you cannot avoid a sensation of emptiness. I am sure you know what I'm talking about.
It is like instantly loosing the meaning of your actions. All that spare time at once without any particular target. What am I going to do now? What is the next thing? How am I going to spend my time. It doesn't matter that you are tired and just want to rest and relax. You want something else to plan.

Not sure about you, but I know that normally to me this feeling does not last that long and soon I start to think that I need to retrieve what I have lost in the meantime: my spare time.
I need to read, I need to watch a movie, I need to have time to think about something else. Possibly I need to have time to think about what to think.

Today is the day after my exam (a wine one of course) and I have already developed my reaction.
I'm happy that I can read the wine books I want and I can drink the wine I like without necessarily think about what soil and climate have generated those particular flavors. At the end of the day, shouldn't it be about passion?!




         Salute!